Nearly 2 years ago I bought a vintage coat with a ripped and shattering lining. I HATE repairs and alterations, so it's a sign of how much I love this coat that I was willing to work on it - except that I stopped right before it was done! The project stalled out in Fall 2011, with basically only the buttons and hems to go.
Originally I estimated this coat to be from 1939/40 and I was going to fudge it into this challenge (supposed to be 1938 or earlier), but then I came across this page of overcoats from the Sears 1938 catalog - the navy one has the same details as mine (wide lapels, princess seams, sleeve cap darts), so I definitely think my coat could be from 1938!
Outside View - the part I didn't make. :)
Inside View - the part I made!
Fabric: Burgundy Rayon Satin for the replacement lining
Pattern: Traced off the original coat lining
Year: 1938-ish ;)
Notions: Handmade shoulder pads, replacement buttons, hem tape, thread
How Historically Accurate: Nearly 100%! It helps that I could use a machine and had the original to copy. The only thing that would have been more accurate would be rayon hem tape instead of polyester.
Hours to Complete: Maybe 60 total, about 8 hours for this challenge. I'm super slow!
First Planned Wearing: Saturday February 26, 2013 to the Great LA Air Raid
Total Cost: About $30, not including the purchase of the coat