Monday, December 31, 2012

Lindy Focus XI - Balboa Comps

We're in our final day at Lindy Focus in Asheville, NC and getting ready for the New Year's Eve party tonight. (I'm trying mobile blogging, so hopefully the formatting isn't all wonky!) Chris and I are having a blast - we've done a couple contests, dancing a bit part in the show tonight, and I took my first burlesque class ever (from Sharon Davis/"Bonnie Fox" (if you look her up on YouTube, please note it's NSFW!!)) I actually took the night off from dancing last night because I was so tired - I know I missed some great music and dancing, but I'm feeling WAY more human today. :)

My dad emailed me last night that he found some YouTube footage up from the weekend already - here's a clip of Chris and me dancing in the Balboa Jack & Jill - in J&J contests you're paired up with a random partner. I'm up first dancing with Marshall, who I've not seen in years, and Chris dances with Lana, a gal from Kiev whom we've never met before this weekend!


We also competed in the Underground Lindy Focus Championships - Balboa Edition (at 2:15 AM!!) and made it to the final four - everyone jumps onto the floor and the judges give out challenges, and they tap out couples until they get down to 6 couples. We had to do Pure Bal (chest-to-chest the whole time), No Basics, Slow Bal, and Lots of Spins - the challenges were actually really fun and a good way to loosen up for the finals! Here are the first 2 rounds of the finals - We're in the second group out on the far side in both videos.





There are a TON more videos already up from the weekend, if you want to see more search for "Lindy Focus XI".

Happy New Year!! Stay safe and don't drink and drive, and I'll see you in 2013!

6 comments:

  1. Happy new year! Oh my word, well done you two, I love the energy, that's some incredible bal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, do you know the song you were dancing to by any chance?

      Delete
  2. You guys take my breath away!! I'm hoping that just by knowing you some of your genius will rub off. Pure magic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are my favorite!!! You dance like the old style ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, I have been to the Grand ball twice but want to learn swing and go to 20's and 40's dance's and party's. I have done 1700's and 1800's for years and have a lot of clothing from that period. I could use some help putting together 20 and 40's clothing and need dance lessons of there time period! Could you help or steer me in the right direction? Thank you,Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, the best way to find out about swing dance lessons in your area is to search the internet and/or try to find a group on Facebook - most swing dancers are pretty internet savvy, and you can find swing dancing in most major cities and towns. For clothes, try ReVamp and Dancestore.com - they both cater to swing dancers for clothes and shoes.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...