Thursday, April 21, 2011

We're In The Money - Vintage Lifestyle Playlist

Friends, I'll admit it. I almost forgot that I owed you a musical selection today! Theme weeks are going to be my downfall, I see that now. But my corsets are underway - as for patterns, I'm starting with the Mantua-Maker Regency Stays and the 1901 corset from Hunnisett's Period Costume for Stage and Screen (yes, I know I said 1912 and now I'm doing 1901. Phhbt.) Anyhoo, I'll post pics of the mockups when they're mocked!

I'm afraid that I have a disappointment for you - I wanted to post "Hooray for Hollywood" from Hollywood Hotel, featuring Johnny Scat Davis and the Benny Goodman Orchestra (as a marching band!), among others. But no one has thought this clip important enough to post on YouTube yet, so I'm afraid you'll have to haunt TCM for the movie. Perhaps my mom will help - back in the days of VHS, she haunted TCM for probably 6 months once, to record this movie for me! Ahh, the past was so much harder than life is today. Love that DVR.

Instead, here's another clip from my playlist that's straight from the soundtrack of a 30's musical. Ginger Rogers lights up the screen in the opening number of The Gold Diggers of 1933 (I believe this was her first big movie role?) - cute and sassy right from the start. And how fabulous is that mini fashion show sequence in the middle? I'll admit that I skip this track sometimes while driving, but the visuals improve the vocals considerably, don't you agree?


I think I may have found inspiration for next year's Halloween costume!

3 comments:

  1. YAY!
    I've wanted to make these for a long time, too! I'll be a chorus girl with you :)
    Love Ginger Rogers. She wrote about that in her biography. Said she was practicing over and over again and got playful so started singing it like that... and they decided to put it in the film!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...